Tuesday, 24 July 2012

DIY: Dip-Dye, Studded Shorts


I'm constantly lusting over the shorts from Bambi and Manson, but just can't afford to pay that for a pair of shorts right now as I'm trying to save for Ibiza! Above are a few I got my inspiration from.

The other day my friend Emma tweeted me a pair of dip-dyed, studded shorts she had made using an old pair of jeans. You can have a look at them here (hers are cooler than mine). So, I looked through all my jeans and came across a pink pair from Primark that I never wear and decided to try it.

What you need:
  • A pair of old jeans/shorts
  • Fabric scissors
  • Bleach (I just used my mums kitchen bleach)
  • A paint brush
  • Rubber gloves
  • Studs (ebay £1.15)


Step 1: Try on your jeans and decide how much you want to cut off, cut off the legs using a pair of fabric scissors.

Step 2: Fill up a basin with bleach (make sure you're wearing gloves so you don't burn your hands) and dip the bottom of the shorts in.

Step 3: Using a paint brush, blend the bleach up to create the faded effect

Step 4: Leave the shorts to soak on the draining board for an hour

Step 5: Rinse the shorts and put them in the washing machine to wash off the excess bleach

Step 6: Once the shorts are dry, attach the studs in a pattern of your choice. You just push the studs through the fabric and press closed the edges to attach them. I used a pair of tweezers as it's quite sore on your fingers.

And that's it, your own pair of dip-dyed, studded shorts for £1.15, bargain. 

What do you think of the finished shorts? What DIY have you tried?

Melissa
xxx

20 comments:

  1. They look amazing! You did a brilliant job! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you have done such a good job i would buy those! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie! it was really easy, you should try it :) xx

      Delete
  3. These look sooo good!!

    egtx3.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is beautiful and you should def sell some of your creations, they are lovely !! I'd def buy :).

    Newest follower, would love it if you checked out my blog, I am a new blogger ! xx
    thisishearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, thats really sweet
      xx

      Delete
  5. They look soo good, defiantly gonna try this!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! Like something from Topshop :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh these are so amazing! I'll have to try this :) also really love your blog and I'm now following :) xxx

    www.megsbudgetboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I'm following you too xx

      Delete
  8. These are fab - perfect for Ibiza!! I'm definitely going to try this! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing! I want to try these for my holiday!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heey I tagged you to do the liebster award tag:) Check out the post on my page for more info..

    www.staceyfromtheblog.blogspot.ie

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! The shorts look so pretty! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve them! They're so girly!!
    merrybellyland777.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are AMAZING!!
    Definitely going to be trying this!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete